Sunday, February 28, 2010

How do you make it in America? By making dollas...

If you read this blog you know by now that I want to be a writer. And your probably like OK, we get it, you want to be a writer. Shut it. I hear you. The only reason I mention it so much is because it's what I want. So bad. In fact, this has been the only profession I could see myself in since the ninth grade. My ninth grade English teacher, Mrs. Marshall, would encourage this by writing, "Great paper, you should write in cursive because that's how writer's do it" on my assignments. I'm not sure what cursive has to do with it, but maybe Marshall was on to something. I still remember beating the child prodigy in a Romeo and Juliet quiz. (He was a violin player who appeared on Oprah when he was 12 and now works for the Los Angeles Philharmonic.... so go him.) I was so happy. Mrs. Marshall was psyched. I know it's kind of pathetic holding on to something that happened when I was maybe 14, but at the moment seeing that almost perfect Romeo and Juliet quiz, I knew. I knew that I understood writers and I have a bond with them. The only problem is I'm not the best writer. I want to get better and I know the only way is to work hard and write every single day.

This leads me to the new HBO show, "How to Make it in America." When I first saw this show I was like "eh." They seemed to being trying to hard. Every character is smart, a NYC stereotype, smooth, gorgeous and not at all awkward. In short nothing like anyone I know my age. (Although I do know awesome people.) Although, like most shows I watched another episode and I'm still not thrilled with the male character developments, there is one character I can see myself in, Rachel. She's a designer just trying to build her name in NYC no less and is in this limbo of "I don't know what I want or what I'm doing." Umm, yeah. Can relate. In tonight's episode she starts talking about her her ex roommate who is in the Peace Corp, "My old roommate is in Africa single-handedly solving the Aids crisis and I'm I don't know? picking up pillows?" This quote was even weirder to me because one of my best friends is currently in the Peace Corp. In Africa. I may not know what I'm doing, but just like the character of Rachel I have to keep going. You just have to keep going until you find something you love. Keep on trucking. (That's definitely my favorite 70's expression, by the way.) I may have nights where I come home and the last thing I want to do is write. But I will because I want to make it in America. Whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment