Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Conversations with the brother

I have two older brothers who are two of the funniest people I know and they tend to give me great advice, most of the time. Last night one of them came over for dinner and for some financial planning advising. (I was the advisee.) I'm really happy that I'm starting to plan for my future now, because even though I tend to try to live taking it one day at a time, the future is always something that looms in my mind. To be short, the future both scares and excites me all at the same time. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way. Something that scares me even more though is my estimated year of death that was included in the financial plan: 2076. That's morbid.

I pointed it out to my brother and all he said,"Yeah I saw that, pretty crazy right?" Yes. It. Is. Seeing that date sent a shock wave of panic into me. Even though 2076 is a very long time away and it's just a computer generated date, it still freaked me out. Basically, I thought to myself that it's time to really start living. My brother and I then started to discuss how I should be working as hard as I can so I can do what I love. I agree. I'm ready to do to that.

As kind of a side related note to this post, I read this great quote from on Esquire article on the movie critic Roger Ebert. Ebert lost most of his jaw to thyroid cancer, but still has a great outlook on life. "I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do." I'm going to try to keep this quote in the back of my mind, because I know I don't always feel this way and I think it's a really nice and simple way at looking at how you interact with others and how that can effect your own well being. I know it may seem like common sense, but I know I tend to forget this a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment